Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Backing up to go forward

The original plan was, each night I would update this blog from the hotel, sharing details of our trip from MS to Sacramento. But we didn't get into the hotel in time to use the computers and still get a reasonable amount of sleep, so that didn't happen. Add to this that I haven't had Internet access for any length of time on any regular basis, and it has made blogging difficult! So the plan is, I will back up and recount the stories of each day's journey so the things that happened on our trip across I-40/Route 66 will be known to all. For now, I'll give the quick-and-dirty details of life since I began settling in here in Sacramento (or to be technical about it, 'the greater Sacramento area.')

Tuesday (2/7) I began looking for an apartment in towns in the general vicinity of my library (Fair Oaks, Citrus Heights, Rancho Cordova, etc.) and wasn't getting very far. On a whim, I decided to ride out to Folsom to see what the area looked like, and was hooked. So, my apartment hunt switched gears and I set my sights on Folsom apartment complexes. The place I went to last on Wednesday (2/8) was far and away my favorite -- great location, rent is reasonable for the size/area, has a much more unique look to it than other complexes (there's a lot of places here that all look the same...this one is not like that), is close to everything I could want at a moment's notice, and only about 20-30 minutes drive into downtown Sactown.

I moved in on Friday (2/11) and was thrilled to have begun settling into my own place before I started work this week (2/14). So far, work has not been much work, which is to say, Monday was the usual first day stuff (paperwork, HR stuff, training about sexual harassment, etc.) and Tuesday was fairly similar. I was at my branch for the first couple of hours, then spent the afternoon at a branch in the Southern end of the system in a session on 'Verbal Judo' (AKA How to deal with difficult people), and some odds and ends at the branch.

Today I actually started some hands-on training (yay!) and spent some time at the front desk (yay!). Tomorrow will be all day at another branch and Friday will be an AM meeting, then at my own branch the remainder of the day.

As for the aforementioned road trip...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment